If you are reading this article, you are searching for a good program to record your audio or video programs. I bet you want to record your game you are playing in Linux 🙂
One of best video recording programs is Simple Screen Recorder. The original goal of the creator of SimpleScreenRecorder was to create a program which was simple to use. While time passed he started adding more features. Now, SimpleScreenRecorder is a really powerful tool.
SimpleScreenRecorder got some really nice features. I’m naming some of them here:
- Graphical user interface (Qt-based)
- Records the entire screen or part of it, or records OpenGL applications directly (similar to Fraps on Windows).
- Synchronizes audio and video properly (a common issue with VLC and ffmpeg/avconv).
- Reduces the video frame rate if your computer is too slow (rather than using up all your RAM like VLC does).
- Fully multithreaded: small delays in any of the components will never block the other components, resulting is smoother video and better performance on computers with multiple processors.
- Pause and resume recording at any time (either by clicking a button or by pressing a hotkey).
- Shows statistics during recording (file size, bit rate, total recording time, actual frame rate, …).
- Can show a preview during recording, so you don’t waste time recording something only to figure out afterwards that some setting was wrong.
- Uses libav/ffmpeg libraries for encoding, so it supports many different codecs and file formats (adding more is trivial).
- Can also do live streaming (experimental).
- Sensible default settings: no need to change anything if you don’t want to.
- Tooltips for almost everything: no need to read the documentation to find out what something does.
Follow the steps below to download SimpleScreenRecorder to your machine.
Firstly you should add the repository to your sources list:
$ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:maarten-baert/simplescreenrecorder
Then resynchronize the package index files from their sources:
sudo apt-get update
Now you can install SimpleScreenRecorder:
sudo apt-get install simplescreenrecorder
See this video which is recorded by Simple Screen Recorder.